Wednesday 28 October 2009

Do You Feel?!


Right, the other day we went to Southampton, it was a good day, and we went and got sherbet from the amazing sweetie shop! Everything was good, and soon after we set of adventuring to find the Harbour Lights Picture House. Tbh, we didn't know at all where we were going, so just kinda walked in a direction that suited us and hoped it was right. Well, after a while we felt lost, so we saw a co-op and decided to go and stock up on supplies, incase we were stuck in Southampton for years to come! In co-op we asked a nice man called Nick for directions, he told us to go find Ocean Village, then we 'couldn't miss it'. We would hold him to this. If we missed it, Nick was to be blamed. Well, can I say, we did almost miss it, but that was just us being a little blind, when we got there we realised that the first showing of what we wanted to see was on at 4...It was only 2:30 now! D: We bought tickets and just hung around for ages until we could go in, it was a well nice little cinema, and amongst the posters we saw The Bunny And The Bull - The new film by Paul King(Boosh Director) Which we got all excited about like years ago, and then completely forgot about, it's gonna be good! Go see if when it's out people! Anyway, we went into the tiny cinema screen, and we pretty certain it was just gonna be us in there! but just before it started 5 more people came in, all middle aged, but ohwell. (Also at this point i'll mention how Yummy Cadbury Nibbles are! XD)

I realise I havn't mentioned what film we went to see yet. I felt I'd keep you in suspense. :O

We went to see The Cove, it's a documentry about Ric O'Barry (Flipper Dolphin Trainer) and how he, and a team of people, are trying to stop the slaughter of around 23000 Dolphins in a little Japanese town of Taiji. We had heard before hand that it was quite graphic and disturbing, and for that we almost didn't go, as some people thought we were a little weird for us wanting to see Dolphins get murdered mercilessly. Nevertheless, we went and tbh, I think it was good we did. It wasn't as graphically disturbing until right at the end, where the managed to film the actual murder of these beautiful creatures, and the sea turned deep red, I'll admit, at that point I looked away, I was almost in tears, it was horrible, this one Dolphin chucked itself out of the water and tried to jump onto these sharp rocks to try and get away from it, it wa just a horrible 10 or so mintues. What shocked me most, was the numbers and statistics they reeled off all throughout the film. They were terrifying tbh, and tbh I think something needs to be done. I'm well in admiration of the lot who made the film, 'cause what they did was technically 'illegal' yet they didn't give up or anything. It was inspiring. There's a song by The wonderful Rocket Summer called Do You Feel, one of the verses has this in it... 'Sometimes I convince myself
that all is fine in the world
It's not mine
Why should I
have to try
to fix things I didn't create or contrive'
It's all about not acting on what we should in the world, cause we all have our own problems and are all too self centered to go and actually do anything about it. Well, that's what I get out of it anyway, I recommend you go check Him out, he's got an amazing voice, Sexy hair, and can write amazing songs. Why wouldn't you?! xD But back to the point, I think something more should be done about the Dolphins, and other situations like that. Originally, we decided we were just gonna watch the film 'cause we're obsessed with The Red Paintings, but it's actually made something in my head click, and I'd well love to be able to do something about it. I've also gotta talk to 10-11 year olds at some point about the charity Save The Whales! for My PSHE Coursework, and the film will be mentioned, even though they're technically too young for it, age certificate wise. Hopefully they'll want to try and do something aswell, and maybe force their parents to go see it with them.

My point? The Cove, an awesome film, that makes you think. It'll shock you, and will be difficult to watch, but it's well worth it. I admire Ric O'Barry, and his team. Hopefully their actions will make change.
Go to The Coves website, to see where it's showing.

I'll leave you with a line from the wonderful Trash McSweeney...


'The Time Has Come To Say Enough's Enough.'

x

No comments:

Post a Comment